I called a local place that will deliver mulch, rock, dirt, etc. and told them the size of our garden beds and they estimated the amount of dirt we needed. They also suggested that we put a small layer of pebbles under the dirt to help the water drain and keep the plants from getting rotted or flooded, so we did that too. The company came with a huge dump truck full of our rock and dirt, and dumped it all on the driveway. We then had to haul it all to the back yard and put it in the garden beds.
BUT, before that, Justin and I both spent a few hours outside pulling up all the grass in the garden. That was not fun! Even in February, it got really hot and I got a little overheated at one point so had to call it quits for the afternoon. We used a flat shovel to dig the grass up in small square pieces. We used those around the yard to fill in some of our very uneven backyard and a few places that we had pulled up some bushes but the grass hadn’t grown in yet. It was a lot of work, but it needed to be done.
Tyler enjoyed helping Daddy and PaPa bring all the dirt around back and put it in the garden. At one point we had so much leftover dirt we had to take some back out of the garden and spread it around in the flower beds in the front of the house. Ryan just enjoyed chilling on the blanket outside and watching Daddy and Tyler do it all. Again, it was a lot of work, but now my garden beds are ready to plant the seeds!!